Espectáculos

PSG - Fifa to investigate Al-Khelaifi chairman

PSG - Fifa to investigate Al-Khelaifi chairman

Valcke, under a separate investigation by Swiss authorities for criminal mismanagement since 2016, was questioned as a suspect on Thursday and properties searched in France, Greece, Italy and Spain.

"It is suspected that Jérôme Valcke accepted undue advantages from a businessman in the sports rights sector in connection with the award of media rights for certain countries at the FIFA World Cups in 2018, 2022, 2026 and 2030 and from Nasser Al-Khelaifi in connection with the award of media rights for certain countries at the FIFA World Cups in 2026 and 2030".

Former FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke has denied allegations he received "undue advantages" from Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi in connection with awarding media rights for future World Cups.

The world football body's Ethics Commission "opened a preliminary investigation into Nasser al-Khelaifi on Thursday evening", a FIFA spokesman said.

Last year, The Office of the Attorney General of Switzerland (OAG) said it was investigating Valcke for "various acts of criminal mismanagement". "There was never any exchange between Nasser and I. Never". "I have never received anything in exchange for anything", Valcke told French sports daily L'Equipe on Friday.

The Qatar broadcaster has denied any wrongdoing while confirming French authorities had raided the company's Paris offices at the request of Swiss authorities.

Italian police said they had searched and seized the luxury "Villa Bianca" property in Porto Cervo, owned by an international real estate agency and with an estimated value of seven million euros ($8.3 million), in a raid conducted in the presence of a "representative of the Swiss government".

The 43-year-old Al-Khelaifi is chairman of Qatar Sports Investments which has invested heavily in PSG.

As a result, he was sacked by FIFA and banned from football for a period of 12 years in January 2016, which was reduced to 10 years in June.

"The new proceeding has been opened primarily on the basis of findings obtained by the OAG in the earlier proceeding", the statement read.